Over the summer, Ofsted have updated their inspection guidance starting with the publication of a new School Inspection Handbook and e-safety is now specifically mentioned in two of the four key areas for inspection:
– The behaviour and safety of pupils at the school
– Quality of leadership in, and management of, the school
Within the behaviour grade descriptors for an outstanding school you should be able to demonstrate that:
‘All groups of pupils feel safe at school and at alternative provision placements at all times. They understand very clearly what constitutes unsafe situations and are highly aware of how to keep themselves and others safe, including in relation to e-safety.’
To support this, there is a new section 5 briefing document titled ‘Inspecting e-safety’ that outlines exactly what schools will need to consider when self evaluating their provision. Unsurprisingly, the document is based on their findings from the 2010 report ‘The safe use of new technologies”. The briefing document expands on the themes in this report to describe key features of Good and Outstanding practice as well as indicators of Inadequate practice.
Time to review the formal published guidance on e-safety
The Department for Education Guidance have published some brief guidance and signpost other sites. They have also listed several archived resources from Becta tagged as esafety
Interestingly, a search for ‘internet safety‘ produces a much wider set of results.
The UK Council for Child Internet Safety (UKCCIS) suggest that you visit the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre or Childnet for advice on internet safety for children.
Although not free, Blogsy seems to be highly rated in the App store so I thought I’d give it a go. You never know it might actually get me writing again.
Will your school web site be ready for September?
As Mike Briscoe highlighted recently in his blog post
the Government have changed the publishing requirements for schools
with effect from September 2012. You are no longer required to publish a prospectus but instead must make key information available online.
From September, schools will be expected to publish:
- Pupil Premium allocation, use and impact on attainment
- curriculum provision, content and approach, by academic year and by subject
- admission arrangements
- the school’s policy in relation to behaviour, charging, and SEN and disability provision
- links to Ofsted reports and to the Department’s achievement and attainment performance data; and details of the school’s latest Key Stage 2 and 4 attainment and progress measures.
While this information should already be available in the school, this has potentially shifted the focus as to who will be responsible for delivering the information in the expected format.
I can honestly say it has been a very busy few weeks.
Hopefully things are settling down again which should allow me to get back on track
As I found myself with a spare hour this morning the plan was to upgrade my test Joomla 1.5 site to the latest version 2 using the JUpgrade plugin. However the redcomponent website is down which has stopped my from downloading the latest version.
It’s never easy!
This video is 5 years old now but still give a good introduction as to how web pages have evolved.
This was not as easy as I first thought!
Following two successful events, I wanted to create an archive of the tweets that I could share online. I found various ways I could import the tweets as posts from a particular user but not from a hashtag. Looking at how the #edchat feed was archived led me to Jerry Swiatek’s articles on using Archivist which has allowed me to save a local copy of the feeds and upload them as a Google spreadsheet but not display them as cleanly in a page as I would like. Further research led to Martin Hawksey’s blog post and Google spreadsheet which after several false starts has now been configured for the two hastags.
When time allows I will revist this to see if I can find a different way to display the information directly within WordPress.
Well it’s all gone horribly wrong this morning as I have completely destroyed my website while trying to update it. Just to add to the misery, my archive and backup is corrupted so I’m starting from scratch.
Oh well, I wouldn’t want to get bored.