Currently I find the range of social media sites a challenge to manage so I am looking at ways to post one and distribute the message.
I can tweet links from this blog and appear to have linked the tweets to my Facebook page which is a start.
Tumblr and Instagram will be the next challenges.
Teaching pupils how to use social networking sites appropriately can present a challenge, especially for primary schools when the new Computing curriculum states that at Key Stage 1 Pupils should be taught to: communicate safely and respectfully online, keeping personal information private. This is compounded by the fact that the minimum age for popular sites is usually 13. This is where your virtual learning environment can help. Moodle offers schools a safe alternative for introducing the concepts of social networking, modeling best practice and setting up teaching scenarios within a closed environment that provides a full log of everything that the pupil say and do. Continue reading
Time to review the formal published guidance on e-safety
The Department for Education Guidance have published some brief guidance and signpost other sites. They have also listed several archived resources from Becta tagged as esafety
Interestingly, a search for ‘internet safety‘ produces a much wider set of results.
The UK Council for Child Internet Safety (UKCCIS) suggest that you visit the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre or Childnet for advice on internet safety for children.
Although not free, Blogsy seems to be highly rated in the App store so I thought I’d give it a go. You never know it might actually get me writing again.
I can honestly say it has been a very busy few weeks.
Hopefully things are settling down again which should allow me to get back on track
As I found myself with a spare hour this morning the plan was to upgrade my test Joomla 1.5 site to the latest version 2 using the JUpgrade plugin. However the redcomponent website is down which has stopped my from downloading the latest version.
It’s never easy!
This was not as easy as I first thought!
Following two successful events, I wanted to create an archive of the tweets that I could share online. I found various ways I could import the tweets as posts from a particular user but not from a hashtag. Looking at how the #edchat feed was archived led me to Jerry Swiatek’s articles on using Archivist which has allowed me to save a local copy of the feeds and upload them as a Google spreadsheet but not display them as cleanly in a page as I would like. Further research led to Martin Hawksey’s blog post and Google spreadsheet which after several false starts has now been configured for the two hastags.
When time allows I will revist this to see if I can find a different way to display the information directly within WordPress.